Crush your carrot cake craving with this high protein, low carb treat. These carrot cake egg crepes pack a mighty 20 grams of protein and zero fat. In addition, you get all this for only 141 calories.
In the depths of a fierce meal prepping session, involving my carrot cake oatmeal bake, I went a little over board shredding my carrots. As a result, I was left with a ton of leftovers. Tell me, what would a normal person do with it?
Not being normal, or caring about being normal, I can only tell you what a Looney like myself does. Due to the fact that I recently brought home 60 eggs from the store, this Looney made crepes. Not your traditional flour crepes, but egg crepes.
Wow, These Carrot Cake Egg Crepes turned out GOOD!
These carrot cake egg crepes turned out 10X better than I expected. The aroma of the cinnamon cooking with the egg reminded me of french toast and I transported back to mornings in my great grandmothers kitchen. The biggest shocker was how light and fluffy they are despite the lack of flour. Then adding a cool and creamy filling, this dish tastes more like dessert than something low carb and healthy.
Three ingredients is all it takes to make the crepe part of this dish. Egg whites, carrots, and cinnamon. That’s it! Lightly beating the egg whites is the secret to creating the perfect texture, sans flour. You don’t need to go crazy, just getting them lightly foamy incorporates air into everything resulting in a light and airy finished product!
You cook them just like you would pancakes. The smell of the cinnamon cooking will start to make your mouth water, so be relieved they only need a few minutes per side.
The always necessary cream cheese frosting element gets added next.
Only two ingredients for this, Fat Free Cream cheese and greek yogurt. These blend together forming a creamy protein packed mixture.
Add this to the center of the crepes, roll up, and enjoy!
My favorite part is the cool filling against the warm crepe, it reminds me of eating ice cream with a warm brownie, it’s amazing!
Carrot Cake Fever is in full swing!
- 3 egg whites
- 50 grams shredded carrot
- 1 packet stevia
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- salt to taste
- 30 grams (2 tablespoons) fat-free cream cheese, at room temperature
- 56 grams (4 tablespoons) fat-free vanilla greek yogurt
- For the Crepe:
- lightly beat the egg whites in a bowl until they are fluffy. Add the rest of the ingredients and stir together
- Heat a skillet sprayed with cooking spray over medium heat and add ½ of the egg mixture. Put a lid on and cook for -2 minutes or until the bottom is cooked and easily releases from the bottom of the pan. If the mixture sticks to the pan when you stick a spatula under it'is not ready.
- When its ready flip it over and cook 1 minute. Transfer the crepe to a plate and repeat with the other half of the batter.
- For the filling:
- Mix all the filling ingredients together till smooth.
- To assemble:
- Lay the crepes out flat, place the filling down the center and roll up. Plate and enjoy.
Enjoy these crepes as a small meal or snack. To turn them into a meal double or triple the recipe. You can make both the crepes and filling ahead of time and keep separately in the fridge. Assemble when you are ready to eat. Topping them with whipped cream and walnuts would make for a perfect dessert!
Are you tired of all the carrot cake recipes yet?
What would you do with leftover shredded carrot?