This healthy Tres Leches cake has a fraction of the fat and calories found in an average version of this dessert. In fact, you can have the entire cake for fewer calories than one tiny sliver of the store-bought variety.
Do you like cereal milk?
You know, the delicious sugar infused liquid left at the bottom of the bowl when you have eaten all the cereal. That leftover milk is probably my favorite part. I purposely overfill my cereal bowls to make sure I’ll have plenty to slurp down. If you’re a fan of the sweet milky goodness as well, then you’re in for a treat because…..
This Healthy Tres leches cake tastes like a big bowl of it!
The three different sugar laden milks in a traditional tres leches cake makes for a calorie heavy indulgence. I looked at the nutrition label of one in Walmart and for a teeny tiny serving there’s 1080 calories and 60 grams of fat. One serving would never satisfy my Looney appetite, so a healified version was necessary.
Finding replacements for the different milks drastically reduces the calories, fat and sugar. Sweetened condensed, evaporated, and whole milk make up the three milks in the traditional version. Swapping in my homemade sweetened condensed almond milk saves over one thousand calories alone! Fat free evaporated milk and greek yogurt stand in for the other two, making a much healthier combination.
The new and improved milk mixture gets poured over a light and airy sponge cake. Being filled with lots of air bubbles the milk sauce soaks into all the little crevices of the cake, making everything soft and delicious. With each bite you get melt in your mouth tender cake reminiscent of that bottom of the bowl cereal milk.
Find the Homemade Sweetened Condensed Almond Milk recipe Here.
- For the Cake:
- 4 large egg whites
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅔ cup granulated sugar substitute
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 large eggs
- ⅔ cup flour
- Milk mixture:
- 6-ounces fat-free evaporated milk
- 6-ounces homemade sweetened condensed almond milk
- ½ cup vanilla greek yogurt
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 1 cup fat-free whipped topping
- For the cake:
- preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Coat a 9 inch pan with cooking spray and set aside.
- Place the egg whites and salt in a large bowl and beat on high till soft peaks form. Add in the sugar, one tablespoon at a time, beating until stiff peaks form.
- In another bowl beat the vanilla and 3 whole eggs until thick and pale. Fold the egg white mixture into the whole egg mixture followed by the flour. Spoon the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until the cake springs back when touched in the center. Cool.
- For the milk mixture:
- Mix the evaporated milk, condensed milk, yogurt, and honey together in bowl. When the cake has cooled, pierce it as thoroughly as possible with a fork. Slowly pour the milk mixture over the cake, allowing it to soak in.
- Spread the whipped topping over the top. Store loosely covered in the refrigerator.
At 89 Calories per slice, you can eat 1/4 of the entire cake for only 267 calories.
That is exactly what I did the first day I made this! I enjoyed it as a mid-morning snack with my 3rd cup of coffee!
Do you love cereal milk?
Whats your favorite cereal?
Have you ever picked at a cake only to realize you ended up eating half of it?