An easy recipe for a crowd pleasing healthy cornbread. It bakes up thick and fluffy, tastes sweet and is tender, and all for 133 calories per slice
At a recent family gathering, everyone raved about the cornbread my grandmother was serving. Not being one to pass up the opportunity to try out some yummy grub, I had to sample a piece for myself. After the first nibble, 1,2 ok maybe 4 more slices made their way down the Looney hatch, I had to agree it was yummy. Surely this is a family recipe. She probably pulls it out of some old rusting tin passed down from grandmothers past.
My grandmother ( I call her Mimi, and actually she is my great-grandmother) informs me that the cornbread is just a boxed mix. While she did add in some sour cream, the rest was just following the directions on the box.
Ok, this makes sense, why bother making cornbread from scratch when you can buy the boxed mix for a measly .59 cents and get results that taste really good, right?
The answer presented itself the next time I was grocery shopping. Since it was imperative that I make more of that amazing cornbread as soon as possible, I picked up a store brand box of the mix. With a quick review of the nutrition label, I returned the box to its place on the shelf. With its long list of ingredients including loads of sugar and three different kinds of lard, I left it behind. I will be making my own without the aid of a box, thank you very much!
So, leaving the box behind, I grabbed what I would need to make a Healthy Cornbread that would blow grandmas away both in taste and nutrition, sorry Mimi.
A homemade from scratch Cornbread is worth it!
It only takes a few minutes to stir together this healthy cornbread. In addition it requires a much shorter list of ingredients, none of which are sugar or lard. Greek Yogurt and creamed corn keep things moist and tender instead. It bakes up super thick and fluffy with a touch of sweetness and absolutely no guilt!
Sorry Mimi, I’ll make you a batch and you can judge for yourself because….
This Healthy cornbread Rocks!
- 1 cup (120 grams) flour
- 1 cup (144 grams) cornmeal
- ½ cup (96 grams) granulated sugar substitute
- ¾ teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- 11/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 egg
- 1 cup (227 grams) honey flavored greek yogurt
- 1 (14 once) can creamed corn
- 4 tablespoons light butter, melted
- Line a 8X8 inch pan with parchment paper and set aside.
- Pre-heat the oven to 350 degrees.
- Mix the flour, cornmeal, sugar, baking powder , baking soda, and salt in a large bowl and set aside.
- In another bowl mix the egg, yogurt, corn and melted butter. Pour the wet ingredients into the dry ingredients.
- Stir together until just incorporated and pour the batter into the prepared pan.
- Bake in the oven for 25-30 minutes or until a toothpick comes out clean in the center.
- Let cool, serve and enjoy.
Pair this cornbread with my Healthy Turkey Chili for the perfect lunch or dinner!
Do you like boxed Cornbread?
Do you prefer to make things from scratch?