A Date Sweetened Banana Bread with a candied bacon crumb. Sweet and salty and 243 calories per super thick manly size slice.
Once again I bought bananas and once again I forgot to eat them.
Now my weekly conundrum of what to do with the overripe fruit. I could make Vegan Peanut Butter Banana Muffins or Banana Baked Oatmeal Bars. Both are perfect to make ahead and freeze. But today I’m feeling something different. I want a more…….Manly bread.
So guys, I truly outdid myself with this one! I have created the KING of all Banana Breads!
This Bread has everything you could ask for. To start, Everything is better with bacon. In this case my favorite chicken bacon. I take the low-fat tasty strips and make a candied crumb topping with maple syrup and oats. The maple syrup caramelizes with the salty bacon as it cooks on top of perfectly moist banana bread.
But not just any banana bread…..NO…… this bread is so manly it doesn’t need any add sugar. Plump juicy Dates is all this loaf needs. They give it the perfect hint of sweetness as well as keep things moist.
All together this makes for a sweet and salty treat but extremely healthy treat. It only has a small amount of good for you coconut oil so its low in fat and calories. So enjoy this as a nutritious breakfast or snack any day of the week. It only takes a few minutes and a short list of basic ingredients to make.
- 3 tablespoons brown sugar substitute or maple syrup
- 4 pre-cooked chicken bacon slices, finely chopped
- 20 grams (1/4 cup) oatmeal
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil
- Banana Bread:
- 240 grams (2 cups) all purpose flour
- 11/2 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon cinnamon
- 200 grams (1 cup) pitted dates
- ½ cup hot water
- 2 eggs
- 300 grams (11/2 cups) banana
- 56 grams (1/4 cup) coconut oil
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. line a 9x5 inch loaf pan with parchment paper.
- In a small bowl mix all of the topping ingredients and set aside.
- In a large bowl mix together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, and cinnamon.
- Place the dates and water in a blender and blend until smooth. Let cool for a few minutes then add in the eggs, banana, oil and vanilla. Blend this together and pour into the dry ingredients.
- Stir everything together until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Pour the batter into prepared loaf pan and bake for 40-50 minutes or until the a tooth pick comes out clean.
Questions of the day:
Have you had anything date sweetened before?
Whats your favorite way to use overripe bananas?