A light and healthy cream sauce with bacon and peas that brings chicken to life in this easy one pan dinner. Creamy Chicken, bacon, and peas are spring on a plate. Spring is in full swing and the peas are popping up all over the Looney garden. Usually my large dog Cora, who happens to love the little green suckers, eats them all up before I get a chance to harvest them. Not this year! As soon as they are ready I’ll be rounding them up.
The first place my peas will make an appearance is in this killer Creamy Chicken and Bacon with peas! This recipe is Waaaaaay too good to enjoy only when fresh peas are handy. I can assure you from experience that using canned peas is just as delicious! Crack open a can if fresh isn’t an option and enjoy this dish year around. Now let’s talk about all the amazingness in this dish. To start, it’s all made in one pan. This way you have less mess to clean up and can get back outside sooner to enjoy the nice weather! Nobody likes being stuck inside cleaning dishes when you could be enjoying a nice after dinner stroll.
Whether you take a post dinner walk or not, burning off this dinner isn’t a concern. I know the phrase “cream sauce” sets off healthy eating warning signs. But calm down. Low fat cream cheese makes it super creamy without the use of butter or real cream. In addition boneless skinless chicken breasts and chicken bacon keep this dish very low in fat.
While it’s low in fat, it’s not low in flavor. Between the bacon, peas, herbs and spices, this Creamy Chicken and Bacon with Peas is a winner!
- 1 pound boneless skinless chicken breast
- salt and pepper
- 4 garlic cloves, minced
- 12 ounces chicken broth
- 60 grams (4 tablespoons) fat-free cream cheese
- 15 grams (1 tablespoon) cornstarch mixed with 1 tablespoon cold water
- 170 grams (1 cup) peas, canned or fresh
- 4 slices of chicken bacon, chopped
- Heat a large skillet to medium high. Sprinkle the chicken with salt and pepper and saute in the skillet about four minutes per side. Remove the chicken and add in the garlic. Cook the garlic 2 minutes and add in the broth, scraping the bottom of the pan to release and bits of chicken and garlic.
- Return the chicken to the pan, cover and simmer about 5 minutes or until the chicken is fully cooked.
- Remove the chicken and whisk in cream cheese. Continue whisking until the mixture is smooth.
- Whisk in the cornstarch and water mixture. Cook 1-2 minutes, continuing to whisk, until the sauce is thick.
- Stir in the peas and bacon. Return the chicken to the pan and coat it with the sauce.
- Serve and enjoy.
Creamy Chicken and Bacon with Peas is great served with Homemade Pasta or Cornbread.
Some things that you might enjoy for this recipe:
Do you grow a springtime vegetable?
Tell me how many and what kinds of pets you have.
Tell me any good stories you have about them.