This recipe for Cauliflower Risotto with Peas is creamy, thick and delicious. Its fat-free, gluten-free, sugar-free, low carb, and low calorie.
Its no secret that cauliflower is a great replacement in high carb dishes. By subbing it in for things like rice, pasta, pizza crust, and potatoes you can save a ton of calories. Especially relevant for me is the fact that its a low density food. So as I explained in my Volume Eating post, its perfect for creating super sized dishes for a low calorie count. Its like a miracle veggie.
Since I use cauliflower all the time in meals for myself I figured it was time to share a one of my favorite creations. The winning recipe:
Creamy Cauliflower Risotto with peas
Risotto is on most Italian restaurant menus. Now, while I enjoy a good risotto I never order it. I know it will be loaded with fat and calories due to the unnecessary quantities of butter, cheese, cream and other heavy ingredients. But its okay, because as a result I made a risotto recipe that is made with NO fat and is extremely healthy.
While this cauliflower risotto is figure friendly, its still rich and satisfying. Cauliflower rice is used in place of traditional rice and is bursts with flavor from fresh herbs. It is extremely creamy without a drop of fat thanks to my Pea guacamole. It takes under 30 minutes to cook and you don’t have to deal with all the stirring involved in making a traditional risotto. Most noteworthy, the serving size is of Looney perportions! Like my Massive Bowl of Oats, this produces another hard to finish bowl of comforting yum!
There are lots of already riced cauliflower products available these days. You can use one of those to make this recipe even quicker. I choose to make my own due to the fact that whole heads of cauliflower are cheaper. This is very easy with the use of a blender or food processor. You can even rice a large batch and freeze it for later use.
I highly recommend keeping uncooked riced cauliflower in the freezer, it stinks up your whole fridge otherwise! Learn from my mistake.
Grab the recipe for Pea Guacamole Here
Then make yourself Creamy Cauliflower Risotto with Peas!
- 1 shallot, diced
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- ¼ teaspoon, salt
- ½ cup vegetable broth
- 298 grams (2½) cups riced cauliflower
- 120 grams (1/2 cup) peas
- 60 grams (1/4 cup) fat free cream cheese
- 72 grams (1/4 cup) pea guacamole
- fresh parsley and toasted pine nuts for garnish
- In a medium size pot, heat 2 tablespoons of water over medium heat. Add the shallot and garlic and saute for 2 minutes or until fragrant and translucent.
- Add the salt and cauliflower rice to the pot and toast. Add the broth stirring well. Cover the pot with a lid and cook for 5 minutes or until the cauliflower is tender. Add more broth if it looks dry.
- Fold in the cream cheese and guacamole. Stir until the cream cheese melts.
- Add in the peas stirring to heat.
- Top with fresh parsley and pin nuts.
Top with a portion of protein of your choice to make it more hearty. Grilled chicken, shrimp, or steak would be delicious.
Questions for you:
Do you like cauliflower as a carb replacement?
Have you used cauliflower to replace other things?