Crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside Broccoli Polenta makes the perfect start to a vegetarian meal. Smother it in pasta sauce and pile it high with roasted vegetables for a hearty dinner anyone will enjoy. This recipe is one my Dad actually perfected and mastered! It’s his one and only culinary clam to fame
( well, besides the rice and ground beef concoction he use to make as a bachelor that I’ve heard stories about)
Since I get to listen to him praise himself for this Broccoli Polenta allllll the time, I thought I would share it with you. Oh-its ok, no need to thank me. Anyway, here is the super quick back story on this. My mom, who does all the cooking, has a major surgery and can’t cook. Gasp, whats a dad to do? Well, he reheats the meals my mom had prepped pre-surgery like a boss until he runs out of prepped food.
Now this was many years ago. If this had happened more recently Hello Fresh would be the perfect solution! If you or someone you love is in a similar situation and won’t be able to cook for themself for an extended period of time check Hello Fresh out!
Basically you select from a variety of weekly recipes and they deliver a HelloFresh box to your doorstep at a time and day of your choosing (7 days/week), free of charge. Each box contains the exact ingredients you need. Each meal is accompanied by a recipe card featuring step-by-step instructions and nutritional information to guide you. Hello Fresh would have been perfect for my dad, but they were not around then. But no worries, Dad comes through in the clutch and comes up with a vegetarian slam dunk for my non-meat eating mom.
Round of Applause for Dad and his Broccoli Polenta!
No, no clapping please. His head is big enough. Enough with dad, let’s get to this amazing recipe. Creamy polenta loaded with fresh steamed broccoli sets up in the fridge to become nice and firm. It’s then ready for the oven. This is where the magic happens. The heat hits the broccoli polenta forming a crispy top crust. No butter, oil, or any fat needed.
Now you cut the Broccoli Polenta into thick triangles and its ready for serving. The best part is cracking into that crunchy exterior with your fork to reveal the smooth silkiness that is inside. Crispy on the outside, creamy on the inside…..so perfect. Dad you really out did yourself. This dish is easy, quick, and a perfect base for a vegetarian meal. And even though its low in fat and calories, much like my vegetarian shepherds pie, its comfort food. A filling meatless meal high in fiber.
Pin Broccoli Polenta
- (1 cup) uncooked fine cornmeal
- 60 grams (1/2 cup) grated parmesan, divided
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 144 grams (2 cups) raw broccoli, chopped and steamed
- Bring 3 cups water to a boil in a medium sized saucepan. Add minced garlic and polenta in a stream, whisking to combine. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer, stirring frequently, until thick,3 to 5 minutes.
- Add in steamed broccoli, ¼ cup parmesan and salt. Mash and stir everything together until well combined.
- Coat a 8x8 square baking pan with cooking spray. Transfer polenta to pan, smooth into an even layer and place in the fridge to cool for 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat broiler
- Sprinkle polenta with ¼ cup of parmesan. Broil in pan until golden broom, 2 to 3 minutes, then cut into 8 triangles.
- Divide among 4 plates and enjoy with your favorite pasta sauce and roasted vegetables.
Have you ever tried polenta?
Are you the cook at home?
Have you tried a food delivery service?
Affilate links may be present and by clicking on them you support my blog.